Projects, projects, projects!

My two most recent projects seem to have taken me away from blogging lately. I can’t believe how long I let my blog go without writing. Color me embarrassed. One of the projects I’ve been letting occupy all my blogging time is that I signed up for one of the Mastering Genealogical Proof Standard study groups. It was a very good course and I highly recommend the study groups for all genealogists. The groups work through the book “Mastering Genealogical Proof” by Thomas W. Jones and participate in discussions about the items covered in the book. It was a great opportunity for me to continue expanding my genealogical knowledge-base. I learned a lot about the standards I should be employing in my genealogy research and was happy to see that I had actually been unknowingly trying to incorporate some of the recommendations made by Jones into my current research. Of course, that does jut create another project LOL. I need to review all my proof and make sure it meets the GPS. While some of it might, most of it probably does not.

The other project I’ve been allowing to occupy my blogging time has been the DNA test I took several months ago. Not being a very technically-minded person I’ve set my sights on learning more about DNA for genealogy and how to understand the results I received from my test. It’s been very interesting so far. My test was originally taken with AncestryDNA but I’ve uploaded my matches to GedMatch as well and have been playing around with the tools available on GedMatch. (reference GedMatch blog posts) I’ve seen several people talk about FTDNA’s transfer option so I’m considering the possibility of uploading my results to FTDNA as well and see what kind of matches I get there.

What projects are currently occupying all of your time? 😉

Mid-Year Check-In

In January I posted about some of my previous-year accomplishments and current-year goals for my genealogy.  I decided to do a mid-year check-in to see where I’m at on meeting my goals for this year.  Here’s the list I began the year with:

  • Continue the research I’ve begun on D1′s family and start collecting proof of lineage (on a side note, it’s pretty amusing to me that I discovered D1 and I share a common ancestor around 8 generations back, LOL!)
    • Status: Progress made.  I’ve been collecting digital copies of census records, military records, obituaries, etc.  I’m very excited about what I found this weekend!  When I originally talked to D1’s parents to get some preliminary genealogy information it was mentioned that D1’s paternal great-grandmother was known by several different versions of her name and that no one really ever knew what her name was.  This weekend I ran across what I suspect is her legal given name.  I started the weekend with the name Leona or Lena and discovered she’s been known as Leona, Loney, Laney and finally…drum roll please…Appalonia!  Wow, what a name!  AND I now have some potential family connections to contact thru Ancestry.com.  I hope I get some cousin-bites 🙂
  • Once my application to DAR has been accepted, start work on adding one additional patriot to my file, submitting paperwork for the additional paperwork by the end of 2014.
    • Status: No progress made.  Hmmm, I don’t know if I’ll make much progress on this since I’ve been so focused on D1’s family.
  • After acceptance of my DAR application, obtain my first DAR pin.
    • Status: No progress made.  I’m hoping to get my first pin within the next couple of months.  I really want a patriot state pin!
  • Make a genealogy trip to Danville, Illinois to see the grave of my third great-grandfather and visit the genealogy library to see if I can find any information on my family there.
    • Status: No progress made.  I’m not certain this one will get completed this year.  It doesn’t help I keep adding things to my list of genealogy to-dos.
  • Make a trip to North Dakota to visit family and obtain more genealogy information on my paternal family.
    • Status: Partial progress made.  D1 and I made it up to North Dakota and spent several hours with my family up there but we didn’t discuss much about the family history.  We had a ton of fun talking to them though!
  • Increase my participation in the Billion Graves transcription project
    • Status: No progress made.  And no excuse for it either 🙁
  • Get a new copy of my great-grandmother’s obituary
    • Status: No progress made.  This is a fairly straightforward thing, not a lot of searching involved since I know either Mid-Continent or the Johnson County Library will have the microfilm that contains the obituary.
  • Get the genealogy document hard copies sitting in piles around my house organized
    • Status: Progress made.  I still have a loooooong way to go on this but I’ve made a good start.  I’ve gotten my hanging folders and file folders made, tracking labels made and affixed to the folders and a nice stack of printouts and copies filed in those folders.  Next piece of the project: making sure all those printouts are filed under the correct person and that they all contain source citations.  I’m really trying hard to make sure all my documents have citations not only printed on or with them when I print them but that the electronic copies also have the source citations included in the file somewhere.
  • Print and organize all electronic copies of genealogy documentation
    • Status: Partial progress made.  I keep running the printer out of ink…LOL
  • Finish attaching electronic copies of records to applicable persons in my genealogy database
    • Status: Partial progress made.  I need to be more active on this goal.  I haven’t gotten very much done on it.

Well it seems as though I need to get my rear in gear on my to do list, doesn’t it!  I feel pretty good about what I have gotten done though.  I think a mid-year check-in was just what the doctor ordered.  Time to get moving on some of these items!